Because I write and anchor newscasts at Orlando’s public radio station, I am enjoined from commenting on anything political, in any forum: here, or on Facebook, or anywhere. I’m also not allowed to participate in protests, movements, demonstrations, or anything else that might somehow indicate that I have an opinion on anything. I understand that rule, and I think it’s a good one. At the moment, I guess it’s just as well that I can’t write any political commentary. I can’t think of a thing that I might say that hasn’t been said by someone else anyway.
But it is a temporary job. It will come to an end sometime within the next couple of months. And then… well, we’ll see. But if I do any of that sort of writing in the future, I’ve determined that it will always be done without rancor, and with respect and civility for all. Even for those with whom I might vehemently disagree. And even for those who are so foul-mouthed and angry that they themselves cannot engage in civil discourse. Unfortunately, as our society and media seem to deteriorate on an almost daily basis, and rage and anger seem to be the order of the day, that will be a challenge. But somebody has to keep a civil tongue, as my grandmother used to say.
This Isn’t Your Father’s Cold War
“Мы вас похороним!” (“We will bury you!”) — Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev 1956
Chlorine in American Chickens Unsafe — Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin 2010
Today’s Fun Stuff
- If you’ve been thinking you haven’t seen nearly enough cheese sculptures lately (as who among us hasn’t?) this should do it for awhile.
- Do this trick at your next office meeting: slice a bagel into two linked halves, like a chain. Full instructions here.
- Here’s what New York looked like before it was a city.
- Here’s a strangely fascinating 1940 video explaining how a car’s differential works:
- And finally, Death Masks of the Famous. A little creepy, but very interesting.
If you enjoy these daily blogs, please subscribe, and it’ll be sent to your email box every morning! How cool is that? (again, this is a rhetorical question. No need to answer. Thank you.) But if you’d like to subscribe, just click that green button in the upper right hand corner.
Now. Go out there and have a great day. — Steve